It is the best side dish with great accompaniment to crunchy nacho chips, as it provides a perfectly complementary blend of spices.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 12 oz. American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Pepper Jack, shredded
- 1 c. milk
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 (4-oz.) can green chilis
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add cheese, a handful at a time, stirring well between each batch. Slowly stir in milk and continue stirring until everything is melted together. Adjust heat as needed as you don’t want the pan to be too hot or your sauce will separate. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, green chilis, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with chips.