Lentil Soup with lemon is hardy, bright, and zesty.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (rinsed, red lentils make a nice presentation)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium white onion (minced and diced)
- 2 carrots (sliced thinly or diced)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2/3 cups shoepeg corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of saffron
- 1 fresh lemon (zested and juiced)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your vegetables.
- Sautee them with olive oil and butter for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables into your cooking pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender. In a crockpot, this takes 2-3 hours on high.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Puree the soup, leaving it somewhat lumpy.
- Taste test for final seasoning.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and some crusty bread.