This broccoli rice is so easy to make and it’s a healthy veg broccoli fried rice. This is an oil-less recipe to prepare when you are on diet.
- 1 small broccoli head (about 8 ounces)
- for Cilantro-Lime Broccoli Rice:Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 scallions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems, plus 1/2 cup leaves reserved
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, more to taste
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, optional
- Remove any tough, woody parts from the broccoli stalk. If the outer skin of the stalk is very tough, you can peel it with a vegetable peeler.
- Chop the remaining stalk and the florets into 1-inch pieces.
- Place into a food processor and pulse until the broccoli is broken up into tiny rice-sized pieces. This should yield about 2 cups of “riced” broccoli. Stop there and use your broccoli rice in any recipe that calls for broccoli rice or cauliflower rice.
- To make Cilantro-Lime Broccoli Rice, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and brush with olive oil. Add the riced broccoli, the scallions, garlic, cilantro stems, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute, until lightly warmed but still bright green.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cumin, lime zest, and a squeeze of lime juice. Stir in the brown rice, if using. Season to taste and serve.