The primary ingredients used in this dessert cake are Applesauce, flour, and sugar. You can enjoy it plain or sometimes can be served as a coffee cake.
- 1 cup applesauce, store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, or other neutral oil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- ½ cup almond flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Cream Cheese Frosting, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8-inch baking pan. I also line mine with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, oil, almond milk, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar and whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose, whole wheat, and almond flours, apple pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, then fold in the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 32 to 39 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. When the cake is completely cool, top it with cream cheese frosting, if desired.