Strawberry Shortcake is a fresh fruity dessert that featured real sliced fruits. Summer is the best season for this delicious dessert.
- Lemon Cornmeal Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup medium-grind cornmeal
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, hardened and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup almond milk, more for brushing
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling, optional for assembly
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using your hands, work the coconut oil in until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, and milk and mix until just combined. The dough will be more moist and pliable than traditional biscuit dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper and pat into a ½-inch-thick rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds and pat or roll again until 1-inch thick. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and use a 2½-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out 3 to 4 biscuits. Re-roll the scraps as necessary to cut out 8 1-inch thick biscuits. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet.
- If desired, brush the tops of the biscuits with a little almond milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Assemble the strawberry shortcakes with the biscuits, strawberries, cream, and mint, if desired.