Tomato basil soup is a tangy flavored recipe, this is made with fresh tomatoes, vegetable broth, carrots with olive oil. Try this soup with bread rusk or cheesy grilled sandwich.
- 2½ pounds roma tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 loose-packed cup basil leaves, more for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tomatoes cut-side up on the baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour or until the edges just start to shrivel and the insides are still juicy.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, vinegar, and thyme leaves and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary. Blend until smooth. Add the basil and pulse until combined.
- Garnish the soup with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread.