Ratatouille is made of variety of colorful vegetables, lots and lots of baked crusty bread, tomato sauce, a perfect summer dish to you.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- ½ yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound eggplant, stemmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, divided
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced into ½-inch thick half-moons
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar, divided
- Fresh basil and/or thyme leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, eggplant, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, half the tomatoes, the bell pepper, zucchini, thyme, herbes de Provence, oregano, the remaining salt, and pinches of black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the vinegar. Top with the remaining cherry tomatoes and bake uncovered for 17 to 20 minutes until the tomatoes start to burst.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with fresh herbs. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, as desired.