This Sri Lankan carrot curry is easy to cook in under 45 minutes! In this recipe, coconut milk is the main flavor and adds an extra taste to it.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- crushed to make 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 large carrots, cut into chunky pieces
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄2 a small bunch coriander, leaves chopped, to serve cooked basmati rice serve
- warmed naans, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the curry leaves. Once sizzling, add the cumin and mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, tip in the onion and cook for 10 minutes until golden. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, black pepper, and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
2. Tip in the coconut milk and 150ml of water, and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the carrots have cooked through and the sauce has reduced slightly. Squeeze in the lemon juice, season lightly, and sprinkle with coriander. Serve with rice and naan pieces of bread, if you like.