This is my favorite Korean rice recipe. The key to this rice is to use overnight rice, leftover rice, and, freshly cooked rice causes different textures for the preparation of fried rice. Garnish with green onions, chopped kimchi, cilantro, etc. Bring to a colorful effect.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon minced ginger (optional)
- ½ cup finely chopped kimchi
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup of day-old cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons kimchi brine
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chopped kimchi and vinegar. Stir in cooked rice, soy sauce, sugar, soy sauce, kimchi brine, and sesame oil. Cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes; scrape the bottom of the skillet to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper.