Spanish rice is a little heartier and melts softer, it’s luscious to taste and also known as red rice, main ingredients are white rice, tomatoes, garlic, etc.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 c. long grain white rice
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and pepper and cook until softened slightly 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted and lightly golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, lemon juice, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, and cumin. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Continue cooking at a bare simmer until all liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove lid and fluff rice with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with cilantro before serving.