This is my all-time favorite delicious tomato curry with a combination of buttered brown rice or naan.
- 6 large organic shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tbsp. organic canola oil
- 2 pinch salt
- 4 c. sliced Chinese cabbage
- 2 tsp. organic Asian fish sauce
- 1 c. blanched organic green beans
- TOMATO CURRY:
- 1 medium organic yellow onion
- 3 tbsp. organic canola oil
- 1 piece organic fresh gingerroot
- 4 clove organic garlic
- 1 c. organic coconut water
- 2 tbsp. organic red Thai curry paste
- 8 large organic plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. organic evaporated cane juice crystals
- 6 organic basil leaves
- 3 small organic lime leaves
- 1 c. 1-inch cubes organic tofu
- 2 tbsp. organic cilantro
- Saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of canola oil and a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and put aside.
- Sauté cabbage in 2 tablespoons of canola oil for 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and the fish sauce. Stir in blanched green beans. Remove from pan and put aside.
- To make the tomato curry: Cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown at the edges, around 20 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, puree the ginger and garlic in the bowl of a food processor, adding 1/2 cup coconut water to make a thin puree. After the onions have browned, add the ginger mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Then add the curry paste and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, 1/2 cup coconut water, sugar, 3 basil leaves, and the lime leaves. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tofu, nestling the pieces in the tomatoes. Don’t stir the curry too much — just agitate the pan as to not mush up the tofu.
- Cook for another 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce begins to thicken and not look watery.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, place the reserved vegetables on top of the curry, cover with the lid, and heat through before serving.
- Garnish with the remaining basil leaves and chopped cilantro. Serve with buttered brown rice.