Ground beef and fragrant jasmine rice are tossed with bright Thai flavors to form a fast meal. Readjust the chili peppers to your family’s tastes. Super easy and the protein can be changed to suit your needs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 fresh bird’s eye chiles, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice, cooled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped sweet Thai basil
- 2 wedges lime
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and cook shallot and minced chiles until translucent and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in ground beef and cook, stirring often, until evenly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef mixture to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in rice, breaking up any lumps. Allow rice to cook, folding it constantly to soak up the juices from the wok, about 10 minutes. Make a well in the middle of the rice and add beaten eggs. Swirl the eggs and rice together with small circular motions until all the rice is coated with eggs.
- Return the beef mixture to the wok and toss to combine. Drizzle with soy sauce, fish sauce, and oyster sauce while tossing to mix. Cook for another few minutes until well combined. Remove from heat. Fold in cilantro and basil.
- Distribute between 2 bowls and squeeze 1 lime wedge on each serving.