This is the delicious old-style homemade cake; it is similar to carrot cake but rather than a mild touch of apple flavor.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 3 ¾ cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch rimmed baking sheet or baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Sift gradually into butter mixture, mixing well.
- Transfer 6 to 8 heaping tablespoons of the cake batter, about 1 cup, to a separate bowl. Mix in milk gradually until batter is creamy and the consistency of pancake batter.
- Spread thick cake batter into the prepared baking pan and level out with the back of a spoon. Mix applesauce and cinnamon together and spread on top in an even layer. Top with the thin cake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the cake is a deep golden brown, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before cutting into squares.