The layer of melted and crisped cheese—the frico—is what makes this creamy sandwich unique. If you like spicy aioli, add two large cloves of garlic.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup sandwich giardiniera, drained and finely chopped
- 4 thin slices tomato
- Minced fresh parsley
1. For the aioli, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
2. Sprinkle Parmesan into a large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Cook just until melted,
about 2 minutes. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into a custard cup or saucer, then gently slide them
into a pan over Parmesan. Immediately reduce heat to low. To prepare eggs sunny-side up,
cover the pan and cook until yolks thicken but are not hard, 4-5 minutes.
3. Spread aioli over toasted bread. Top with Giardini era, tomato, and egg. Sprinkle with parsley.