This Nicoise salad originated in the French city of Nice. The best combination of mixed veggies salad.
- FOR SALAD
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 lb. small potatoes
- 16 oz. tuna packed in olive oil
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- 1/2 c. black olives, such as Kalamata
- 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained (optional)
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- FOR DRESSING
- 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Oil from jarred or canned tuna
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl and bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to a low boil and use a spoon to carefully lower the eggs into the water. Cook for 8
minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to an ice bath to cool. Turn off heat, and
reserve the water.
2. Meanwhile, make dressing: Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl and
season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare another ice bath in a medium bowl. Return pot of water to high heat, add a large pinch
of salt, and bring back to a boil. Add green beans and cook until bright green and just tender,
about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to ice bath to cool, then transfer to a clean kitchen towel or
paper towels. Reserve ice bath and pat green beans dry.
4. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
5. Meanwhile, peel and halve hard-boiled eggs, and halve boiled potatoes. Drain remaining oil
from tuna (saving if desired) and break tuna into large flakes.
To serve: Divide eggs, green beans, potatoes, tuna, cucumbers, and olives between 4 large plates. Lay an
anchovy fillet on each egg half, if using. Top with capers, drizzle with dressing, and season with salt and
pepper. Serve garnished with basil leaves and additional dressing on the side.