These are the best homemade wheat tortillas a type of soft, thin flatbread made from finely ground wheat flour.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. cold lard, rendered bacon fat or vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 c. warm water
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Using fingertips, rub lard into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gently stir warm water into flour mixture until shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each portion into a ball. Cover balls with plastic and let rest 20 minutes.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. On a floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll one ball into a 9″ round. Transfer round to preheated skillet and cook until dough bubbles and develops golden spots on the bottom, about 40 seconds. Flip tortilla and cook until second side develops golden spots. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean dish towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough.