This simple recipe can be served with soups, smothered in gravy, and these garden herbs biscuits combined with fresh herbs and healthy vegetables.
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Chives
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 4 Ounces (1/2 Package) Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Finely Grated Carrot or Zucchini (or a Mix of Both)
- 3/4 Cup Plain Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Additional Melted Vegan Butter (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Make sure the greenery is well distributed throughout the dry mixture.
- Cut the butter and cream cheese into tablespoon-sized pieces before adding them in next, and use a fork or pastry cutter to further incorporate the two. Once you achieve a coarse consistency where there are no chunks of fat remaining that are any larger than peas, toss in the carrot and/or zucchini shreds.
- Finally stir in both the non-dairy milk and vinegar at once, and mix with a wide spatula just until the thick batter comes together. If you’re into the old-fashion way of doing it, you can also mix by hand, of course.
- On a very lightly floured surface, pat out the dough to about 1 – 1 1/2 inches tall. Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits, and space them out equally across your prepared baking sheet. Gather up any scrapes, pat back into shape, and cut again, until the dough is all used up. You should get 6 – 8 tall biscuits out of the mix.
- If desired, brush a small amount of melted butter across the tops of the biscuits for an extra rich flavor, and then pop them into the oven. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes, until golden brown all over. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating, just so that you don’t burn your mouth!