Sliced fennel, apple and smoked mackerel come together in this fresh Nordic salad. Serve at lunch or as a starter accompanied by good bread.
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 eating apples
- 1 whole or 2 fillets smoked mackerel
- 100ml kefir
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp acacia honey
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Slice off the shoots and roots of the fennel bulbs and rinse the fennel in cold water. Finely slice the fennel using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife and transfer to a bowl.
- Wash the apples and remove the cores. Slice the apples into very thin wedges and add to the bowl with the fennel.
- Remove the skin and bones from the smoked mackerel and break the fish into large pieces. Add to the apples and fennel.
- Pour the kefir into another bowl and season with the olive oil, vinegar, honey, some salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well to make a dressing.
- Stir together the salad and dressing, and season to taste with a little extra salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the salad in a large bowl or divided between four plates, garnished with hemp seeds and nasturtium leaves, if using.