This walnut-cream roll is a cake, spread with whipped cream and topped with walnut. Freeze it for 30 minutes minimum before serving.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sifted enriched flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sifted confectioners' sugar, or as needed
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon walnut halves, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line the bottom and sides of a 15 1/2×10 1/2×1-inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla extract, and salt using an electric mixer in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/2 cup white sugar gradually until combined.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl using an electric mixer until thick and lemon-colored. Fold into egg white mixture. Fold in flour and chopped walnuts carefully until combined. Spread batter into the prepared jelly roll pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen sides of cake; turn out onto a towel sprinkled with sifted confectioners’ sugar. Peel off wax paper and let cool to lukewarm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll cake and towel together starting at the narrow end. Let cool completely on a wire rack, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While cake cools, beat cold heavy cream and 1 tablespoon white sugar together in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer just until stiff peaks form.
Unroll cake and spread with whipped cream, reserving some for topping. Re-roll cake and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Top with dollops of whipped cream and walnut halves. Slice and serve.