This bright yellow vegetarian biryani (tehri) is full of deliciously soft vegetables and fragrant long-grain rice cooked with Indian spices.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chile powder, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Place rice in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add onion, cumin seeds, and bay leaves; cook and stir until onion is translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, chile powder, and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir rice gently into the pressure cooker until evenly coated with oil. Pour in water and peas. Stir in salt, butter, and garam masala. Seal cooker and bring to high pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Release pressure naturally according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fluff rice with a fork.