Quinoa may be a great alternative to rice – it’s lighter, and cooks in about half the time. Tossed with onion, garlic, and herbs. This may be served hot or at temperature.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice (Optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
- In a bowl, toss quinoa together with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.