Grilled green tomatoes are the perfect side for summer. This rendition combines the slightly tangy flavor
of underripe tomatoes with the smoky char of the grill and a whipped goat cheese schmear to boot.
- 4 medium green tomatoes (about 2 lb. total), sliced ½" thick
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for grill and drizzling
- 4 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. agave or honey
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
- Flaky sea salt, optional
1. Season tomatoes on both sides with 1 tsp. kosher salt and ½ tsp. black pepper. Drizzle with 1
tbsp. oil. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix goat cheese, cream, lemon zest, agave, red pepper flakes, and remaining
1 tbsp. oil, 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper until well combined. Spread on a
platter or plate.
3. Preheat a gas grill to high; clean and oil grates. Grill tomatoes until well-charred but not overly
soft, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
4. Arrange tomatoes over goat cheese mixture. Drizzle with oil, then top with basil, sea salt, if
using, and red pepper flakes.