Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat, then salt it generously.
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, 3 minced and 3 sliced, divided
- 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 oil-packed anchovies, minced (optional)
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 c. freshly chopped parsley
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package directions.
Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons oil. Add minced garlic
and bread crumbs and season with red pepper flakes and salt. Cook until bread crumbs are
golden and garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer bread crumbs to a paper towel–lined
plate and wipe out skillet.
3. Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and butter. When butter is
melted, add sliced garlic and anchovies, if using. Cook until garlic is fragrant and anchovies are
dissolved, about 2 minutes.
4. Add pasta to skillet and toss to combine. Stir in lemon zest and juice. And 1/2 cup pasta water
and toss, adding more as needed to thicken sauce. Stir in parsley and three-quarters of the
bread crumbs and toss to combine.
5. Top with remaining bread crumbs before serving.