This classic cocktail technique combines vodka, tomato juice, and Worcestershire sauce with a few dashes of Tabasco to turn up the heat. Infusing the vodka overnight puts an extra layer of flavor
- 100ml vodka
- 1 chopped red chilli
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 lemon, 1 strip of lemon peel, 1 tbsp of juice, 1 wedge
- 400ml tomato juice
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp Tabasco
- 1 tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 celery stick
- cherry tomatoes, cornichons and olives on skewers to garnish (optional)
- Put the vodka, chilli, sugar and lemon peel in a clean jam jar or covered container and shake until the sugar dissolves. Leave for 6 hours or overnight.
- Put a handful of ice into a jug, and pour over the infused vodka. Add the lemon juice, tomato juice, worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and a pinch of the celery salt, pepper and sea salt. Mix well. Add the vinegar to taste, and add more salt, pepper and sauces, if you like.
- Rub the lemon wedge around the rims of two tall glasses. Combine the remaining salts and white pepper on a plate and dip the rims in the mixture.
- Add a few ice cubes to each glass, and strain the bloody mary into the glasses. Serve with a celery stick and a skewer garnish, if you like.