This dish is easy enough for a Tuesday but looks pretty enough for company. It has a really fresh flavor
and goes great with roasted potatoes or rice.
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed - divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
2. Place each chicken breast between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work
well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to
an even thickness of about 1/4 inch. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
3. Place 4 spears of asparagus down the center of a chicken breast, and spread about 1/4 cup of
mozzarella cheese over the asparagus. Repeat with the other chicken breast, and roll the
chicken around the asparagus and cheese to make a tidy, compact roll. Place the rolls seam
sides down in the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons of bread
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the juices run clear when pricked with a fork, about 25
minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees
F (74 degrees C).