This wonderful vegan one-pot curry contains red lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions and is flavoured with coconut milk, curry paste, and cumin.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or more as needed
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 1/2 inch) piece chopped fresh ginger, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar, or more to taste
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry paste, or more to taste
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped or pureed, juices reserved
- ½ teaspoon vegetable bouillon, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or more to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-low heat and cook onions, garlic, and ginger until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cumin, and cook until sugar caramelizes, about 2 minutes, making sure cumin does not burn. Stir in curry paste; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes, lentils, coconut milk, and tomatoes and their juice. Season with vegetable bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes and lentils are cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.