Vegan cashew cream of broccoli soup is a healthy and hearty soup made with broccoli, cashews, and other plant-based ingredients. This soup is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, making it a perfect option for those with dietary restrictions or preferences.
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter-style sticks, such as Earth Balance
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-1/2 teaspoons no chicken vegetable base or vegetable base
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, place a steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place broccoli in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, until just tender, 5-6 minutes. Cool broccoli; coarsely chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place 1 cup water and cashews in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside. In a Dutch oven, melt vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until just tender, 3-4 minutes. Add sage, thyme, garlic powder and onion powder; cook 1 minute longer. Add potatoes, bay leaf, base and remaining 4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, cashew mixture and broccoli. Heat through. Discard bay leaf.