Szechuan chicken is a popular Chinese dish made by tossing crisp chicken in moderately hot, spicy, sweet, and flavorful Sichuan sauce try it at home.
- Chicken 400g Skinless, breast or thighs
- White onion 1
- Red Pepper 1
- Yellow Bell Peppers 1
- Chilli 20
- Ginger 15g
- Cane Sugar 1 tbsp
- Cornstarch 1 cup
- Garlic Powder 1 tsp
- Dark soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Sesame Oil 3 tbsp
- Chicken Stock 5 tbsp
- Szechuan pepper 1 tsp (optional)
- Sunflower oil
- Kosher Salt
- Start with the chicken. Cut it into pieces of equal size that are not too small so that the meat can have the same cooking time. Put the cornstarch in a bowl (set aside a spoon) and toss the chicken in the flour.
- In a non-stick pan, pour a drizzle of seed oil and when hot, add the floured chicken. Cook the chicken nuggets for 3/4 minutes so that they become crunchy and amber on the outside.
- In the meantime, wash the peppers, remove the stalk, seeds and internal filaments, then cut them into small pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut this into small pieces of the same size as the peppers.
- When the chicken is well browned, remove it from the pan and keep it warm in a covered bowl. In the same pan, add the peppers, onion, whole chilies, garlic powder and freshly grated ginger. Season with salt and bring to the fire to dry the vegetables. It will take about 5 minutes on high heat. If you have decided to add it, now is the time to add the Szechuan pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining the soy sauce, sesame oil, chicken broth, sugar and a tablespoon of cornstarch in a bowl. Mix very well.
- Add the chicken to the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the sauce and mix well. After 30 seconds your super creamy and spicy Szechuan chicken is ready. Serve it alone or accompanied with white rice. If you like, you can add chopped fresh parsley or coriander.
Tip & Tricks
The use of corn starch instead of normal flour, both in the flour and in the preparation of the sauce, gives the dish a creamy texture.