Holiday cookies should impress and Stained Glass cookies certainly do that. Sugar cookies get cut out
and filled with crushed hard candy to create a beautiful-looking window in the cookies and it’s honestly
as simple as that and much easier than decorating cookies!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Hard candies, such as Jolly Ranchers
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg, milk, and
almond extract and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients and beat until fully incorporated.
3. Divide dough in half and shape each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm,
at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
4. Sort jolly ranchers by color and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer to crush into small pieces,
keeping the colors separated.
5. Line two large baking sheets with parchment. Working one disk at a time, roll dough out on a
lightly floured surface to 1/4″ thick. Cut shapes out with large cookie cutters, then cut the
centers out with a small cookie cutter of the same shape. Place on prepared baking sheets.
6. Fill the centers about ¾ full with crushed jolly ranchers. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30
7. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies until edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool
completely before removing from baking sheets.