This soup is a tradition in Japan and it’s a simple broth made with boiling water dried seaweed (kombu) and bonito flakes.
- 6 c. water
- 1 large piece kombu (about 4")
- 1/2 c. bonito flakes
- 1/4 c. white miso
- 4 oz. enoki mushrooms (optional)
- 4 oz. silken tofu, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 c. sliced scallions, for garnish
- Make dashi: In a large pot over medium heat, bring water and kombu to a simmer. Remove kombu as soon as the water starts to simmer. Stir in bonito flakes and bring to boil, let boil 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let bonito steep for 15 minutes then strain out bonito flakes.
- Return dashi to stove and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk in miso until dissolved then add mushrooms. Add tofu and simmer 2 minutes. Do not boil.
- Garnish with scallions to serve.