Slice cross bun, sprinkle chopped Choco and tap with butter on each side. All you have to do is gather custard filling and, it’s a bake-free recipe.
- 100g (2/3 cup) custard powder
- 35g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 300ml carton thickened cream, plus 2 tbsp, extra
- 60g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 9 chocolate chip hot cross buns
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- Small speckled chocolate eggs, coarsely chopped, to decorate
- Whisk together the custard powder, cocoa, sugar and 125ml (1/2 cup) milk in a saucepan until combined. Stir in cream and remaining milk. Place over medium-low heat and cook,
- whisking slowly then more vigorously as the mixture thickens, for 10 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Stir in butter until combined. Pour into a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool,
- stirring often with a spatula to release heat and prevent a skin from forming, until just warm.
- Line a 20cm (base size) square cake pan with baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang 2 opposite sides.
- Use a small serrated knife to carefully cut the buns in half horizontally. Arrange the bottom half of the buns, cut-side up, neatly over the base of prepared pan.
- Spoon the custard mixture over bun bases. Use a palette knife or the back of a spoon to gently spread in an even layer. Arrange bun tops, cut-side down, over custard mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours or until set.
- Place the chocolate and extra cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 30 seconds or until the cream starts to bubble. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly then spoon into a small sealable plastic bag and snip off 1 corner, 5mm from end.
- Pipe the chocolate sauce over the slice. Decorate with speckled eggs.