This process is very simple and the output is unbeatable. Rice full of aroma finished in under half an
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 c. long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add carrots, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and
cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice and
tomato paste and cook, stirring, until grains are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Pour in broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce and season with cumin, oregano, 1 teaspoon
salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 17
4. Stir in cilantro before serving.