Brats, short for bratwurst, are a type of German sausage that is made from pork and/or beef and is typically flavoured with a variety of spices such as nutmeg, coriander, and caraway seeds.
- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 3 bottles (12 ounces each) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst in batches; drain. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beer, sliced onion and sauerkraut; add bratwurst. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until sausages are cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, chopped onion, relish, garlic and pepper until blended. Spread over cut sides of buns; top with cheese, bratwurst and sauerkraut mixture. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.