These baked apples are so delicious dessert with scoops of vanilla ice cream. If you are vegan? ignore ice cream, then add coconut whipped cream on top of baked apples.
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole rolled oats
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts
- ½ teaspoon Apple Pie Spice, or cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup firm coconut oil
- 4 apples, cored and halved
- Melted coconut oil, for drizzling
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the oats, almond flour, brown sugar, walnuts, apple pie spice, and salt. Use your hands to work in the firm coconut oil until the mixture crumbles. If the mixture is too dry, add a few drizzles of water until the mixture starts to stick together when pinched.
- Use a spoon to scoop out a bit of the center of each apple half. Place in an un-greased baking dish large enough to hold the apples. Drizzle with melted coconut oil and rub it all over the apples. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and top each half and wait for the generous spoonful of the topping. Drizzle a little more coconut oil on top and bake for 20 minutes, or until the apples have softened and the topping is crisp.
- Let cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.