Pudina Rice or Mint Pulao is an aromatic and easy recipe with mint/pudina. It's a light dish that's
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pod
- 1 star anise
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small bay leaf, torn into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chile powder
- 4 small Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into rounds, then halved (skin on)
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Combine green chiles, mint leaves, garlic, 2 1/2 tablespoons water, shredded coconut, cilantro,
cumin seeds, and ginger in a mortar; grind with a pestle into a paste.
2. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add
olive oil and heat until warm. Add cloves, cardamom pods, star anise, bay leaf, and cinnamon.
Saute until spices are fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mint paste, onion, turmeric, and red chile
powder and cook for 2 minutes longer.
3. Mix in potatoes, tomatoes, and peas. Stir in basmati rice and saute for 1 minute longer. Pour in
1 1/4 cups water and salt. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot and let warm 1
4. Turn off Saute mode. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's
instructions; set timer for 6 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
5. Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10
to 40 minutes.