Vegan Cabbage rolls! My vegetarian combat traditional dish recipe is made vegan! with impossible meat. Taste just like moms! Perfect easy weeknight food for the entire family. No one will believe it’s meatless!
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
Boil the vegetables and aromatics
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
Cook the cabbage
- Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off the head; it should take about 15 minutes. Set aside 8 large leaves for the vegan cabbage rolls. You can refrigerate the remaining cabbage for another use, like one of these cabbage recipes.
- Cut out the thick vein from each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. To create an even surface, overlap the cut ends before filling.
Stuff the cabbage rolls
- Stir lemon juice into the vegetable mixture. Then, place a heaping 1/3 cupful on each cabbage leaf and fold in the sides. Fold in the top to completely enclose filling and create a cabbage roll. Repeat to make eight tidy cabbage rolls.
Make the sauce
- Combine the tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce. Pour 1/3 cup into a 2-qt. baking dish. Place the cabbage rolls in your dish and spoon the rest of the sauce over top. Cover and bake at 400° F for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- To finish the recipe, sprinkle with additional basil. Then serve!