Enjoy it plain, or dress it up with your favorite glaze or frosting and toasted coconut.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch cake pan.
2. Beat sugar, butter, and egg yolks together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and
creamy; add shredded coconut.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Stir creamed butter mixture,
alternating with coconut milk, into flour mixture until batter is just mixed.
4. Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until until soft peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk
straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak. Fold egg whites into
batter. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean,
about 45 minutes.