Give these recipes a try, and watch the videos for Chef John's smart. Creamy Cashew Chicken Curry.
Chef John's Peanut Curry Chicken.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth, or to taste
- ¾ cup unsweetened natural peanut butter
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1-pound zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 green poblano pepper, diced
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 lime, for garnish
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Mix salt, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl.
2. Place chicken pieces in a separate bowl and add 1/2 of the spice blend. Mix together thoroughly
to coat each surface with a spice blend.
3. Heat oil over high heat in a heavy pot. Brown half of the chicken pieces on all sides. Transfer to a
bowl. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add onion to the pot. Saute until onions start to turn translucent
and golden, 1 or 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining
spice blend; cook and stir for one minute. Pour in chicken broth. Add the browned chicken along
with accumulated juices. Stir in peanut butter and ketchup; add brown sugar. Bring to a simmer
and reduce heat to maintain a gentle, steady simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30
5. Transfer zucchini, red bell pepper, poblano pepper, and peanuts to the pot. Stir to mix. Continue
simmering until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Serve over rice with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of peanuts and chopped cilantro.