This rich Mediterranean spread is called brandade in France. Is a perfect combination with toasted bread, an easy way to prepare?
- Salt Cod 500 g
- Extra virgin olive oil 200 ml, of excellent quality
- Milk 100 ml, whole (or cream)
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Pepper to taste, freshly ground
- Garlic 1 clove
- The salt cod should be white and succulent: remove as much salt as possible.
- Place a large pot with water on the stove and put in the salt cod, cooking it while covered over a very low flame for a few minutes, without letting the water reach the boiling point.
- Once cooked, remove the skin and bones and keep the meat.
- Rub the garlic against the sides of the mortar that will be used for the cod, it will give the brandade that unmistakable aroma of the traditional recipe.
- Then, using the pestle, begin working the cod, adding drizzles of the olive oil.
- Then put the cod back in the pot and, over low heat, stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, continuing to add oil bit by bit, alternating with warm milk or cream.
- Once you’ve used up the ingredients, the cod cream should be soft and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper.
- Serve with toasted bread slices.